Contact Us to Schedule
COVID-19 Update. Please Click Here to Read More.
COVID-19 Update.
Please Click Here to Read More.

Carbon monoxide leaks sickens eleven people in rockville

Posted on: August 9, 2011

Toward the end of last month (July), Montgomery Country fire and rescue officials say that 11 people in a Rockville apartment building were sickened due to a carbon monoxide leak. The leak was caused by a malfunctioning hot water heater (gas-fired). Many residents were evacuated and the 11 were taken to the hospital. None were seriously injured.

At James A. Wheat & Sons, we want to remind everyone that it is IMPERATIVE that you equip your home with a low-level carbon monoxide detector. Many people believe that carbon monoxide leaks only occur during the winter when fuel burning furnaces are running constantly. However, as this story shows, gas leaks can occur any time of year.

While having low-level carbon monoxide detectors installed in this apartment building would not have prevented the CO leak in the first place, it could have warned residents in time to prevent any of the illnesses from occurring.

Since you can’t detect carbon monoxide with any of your senses, it is CRITICAL that you install a low-level carbon monoxide detector to prevent potential crises like this one. If you don’t have a CO monitor in your home, call James A. Wheat & Sons today!