Contact Us to Schedule
COVID-19 Update. Please Click Here to Read More.
COVID-19 Update.
Please Click Here to Read More.

Carbon Monoxide Testing in Maryland and Washington, DC

Every year there are dozens of reports from homes around the area of families sickened or worse by carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, tasteless, odorless gas that can be produced by malfunctioning heating equipment, including gas or oil furnaces, as well as things like gas water heaters, gas stoves, and gas dryers. Carbon monoxide is extremely toxic, with symptoms such as headache, nausea, chest tightness, and fatigue. Prolonged exposure can lead to worsening headaches and dizziness, respiratory failure and, eventually, death.

Carbon monoxide testing in Maryland

If any of your fuel burning appliances are starting to show signs of age, it’s a good idea to have them tested for carbon monoxide production. Other signs that you may have a carbon monoxide problem include:

  • Your entire family is experiencing similar, unexplained health problems
  • You have recently installed a new fuel burning appliance and suddenly have developed health problems
  • Many members of your family are suddenly extremely fatigued or feel mentally “foggy”
  • You and members of your family sense a “presence” in your home, even if no one is typically superstitious

Since carbon monoxide is undetectable by the senses, the only way you’ll know you have a problem is if you start feeling the symptoms—and recognize them in time. At James A. Wheat & Sons, we recommend regular testing of all your gas burning appliances to make sure any CO they produce is vented safely.

It doesn’t take much CO to do damage either—carbon monoxide levels above 70ppm (parts per million) are considered extremely dangerous, but the gas can be dangerous even at low concentrations (carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms can occur in concentrations as low as 9ppm). Unfortunately, many store-bought CO monitors will not go off until levels approach 70 or higher, meaning you could be suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning without even knowing it. James A. Wheat & Sons installs low level carbon monoxide alarms that will alert you much sooner than many store-bought CO monitors.

How to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning

  • Have your heating system, water heater, and any other gas, oil, or coal burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year.
  • Install a low-level CO detector in your home and test or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall. If the detector sounds, leave your home immediately and call 911.
  • Seek prompt medical attention if you suspect CO poisoning and are feeling dizzy, light-headed, or nauseous.
  • Never use a generator, charcoal grill, camp stove, or other gasoline or charcoal-burning device inside your home, basement, or garage or near a window.
  • Never leave a car or truck running inside a garage attached to your house, even if you leave the door open.
  • Don’t burn anything in a stove or fireplace that isn’t vented.
  • Don’t heat your house with a gas oven.

If you need carbon monoxide testing in Maryland or Washington, DC, call James A. Wheat & Sons. We can install a low-level carbon monoxide detector in your home and test your appliances for carbon monoxide to make sure you and your family are always safe.